If you are over 50 The American Cancer Society recommends colon cancer screening. Our open access program allows you to schedule a colonoscopy without a lengthy referral process. Learn more
NO SOLID FOOD THE DAY BEFORE THIS EXAM
When you arrive for your appointment for your colonoscopy:
- You must have a responsible adult there to drive you home and to assist you at home while you finish recovering from your sedation. Please bring only one person with you.
- Bring the completed packet, list of medications, insurance card and driver’s license.
- Arrive there 45 minutes before the procedure time
The day before your exam
1. On the day prior to your colonoscopy, a strict clear liquid diet should be followed. The description of a clear liquid diet is as follows:
- No dairy products at all
- Tea - hot or ice tea is allowed, no creamer
- Coffee - no creamer and only in the am
- Juices - apple, white grape, white cranberry
- Sports drinks - no purple, red or blue flavors
- Carbonated beverages - no red color sodas
- Jello - no red, blue or purple flavors
- Popsicles - no red, blue or purple flavors
- Hard candy - no red, blue or purple flavors
- Gummy Bears - no red, blue or purple
- Flavored waters
- Clear chicken broth, beef broth or consommé
- Do not drink anything red, blue or purple
- Absolutely no dairy products
- Absolutely no juices with pulp
2. At 6:00pm pour one bottle of Suprep into plastic cup provided in kit, fill with cold water to the 16 oz line on cup. Begin drinking slowly over the next one hour.
You may have clear liquids the rest of that evening
The day of the exam
3. Four hrs prior to exam time take 2 Gas-X tablets and then repeat step 2.
YOU MUST STOP DRINKING AFTER THIS STEP IS COMPLETED
5 DAYS BEFORE THE EXAM
STOP TAKING ASPIRIN OR ASPIRIN CONTAINING PRODUCTS, VITAMIN E AND IRON, BLOOD THINNERS SUCH AS COUMADIN, PLAVIX, AGGRENOX.
Take only ½ of your morning dose of insulin or tablets the day before your exam. Do not take any more of your diabetic medications until the procedure is over and you have resumed eating again. Drink regular liquids, not diabetic and monitor your sugar throughout the day you are on clear liquids. If your sugar gets too low, drink some apple juice.
Any questions, please call our office 330-753-6643, ext. 215, 218 or 220